Saturday, September 27, 2008

Macro Q&A: What lens?


Common Blue series 1-1
Originally uploaded by Dalantech.
koauke writes,

"Hi, I was admiring your macro work and was wondering if I could ask you a question. I'd like to get a macro lens for my Canon XSi (450D) and was wondering if you could give me some advice. Would the Canon 100mm macro be better for insect photography than the 60mm EF-S?"

Here's my responce: In my humble opinion there is no such thing as a bug lens -it's the insect and your ability to get close that will determin if you get the shot and not the working distance of the lens. Having said that I think that lenses in the 100mm range are easier to use for a beginner since there is less of a chance that you are going to cast a shadow over the insect and scare it off. But if you watch the angles that you shoot from the EF-S 60mm is actually a better lens.

The image I've included with this post was taken with the EF-S 60mm + a 250D closeup and an 81A warming filter in natural light (no flash).

Until next time happy shooting :)

1 comment:

Luc said...

Which lens would be better to take pictures of flowers?